Health Desk – A lack of thyroid hormones or an underactive thyroid can cause many different problems when it comes to male fertility?
Due to disturbance in thyroid, fertility in men can also be affected. According to a research, when the thyroid increases, the number and quality of sperm gets affected. Actually, there is a small butterfly shaped gland in the middle of the thyroid neck which controls many processes of the whole body. This gland balances the endocrine system. Thyroxine hormone is released from the thyroid gland which controls metabolism.
Apart from this, it affects heart rate, digestion, weight, mental health and energy levels. But if there is a slight decrease or increase in thyroid hormone, then many types of problems start happening in the body. If the thyroid hormone becomes more in the body, then it is called hyperthyroidism, whereas if it decreases, it is called hypothyroidism. Deficiency of thyroid hormone affects the fertility of both men and women.
What are the causes of thyroid ?
1. Hormonal imbalance-
Graves’ disease is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. In this, the thyroid gland insists for more production and secretion of hormones. Due to which the balance of hormones gets disturbed.
People who consume more iodine have a higher risk of hyperthyroidism. Whereas hypothyroidism can occur on its low intake.
3. Disturbance of insulin-
Men who have imbalance in the amount of insulin in their body are also at risk of thyroid. Diabetes patients should be careful with this.
4. Excess of nitrate-
People who use more nitrates in their diet are also at higher risk of thyroid.
5. Bad Habits-
There is a possibility of thyroid in men who smoke or drink. This can make their body weak.
6. Genetic disturbances-
One of the reasons for thyroid problem in men can also be genetic. If someone’s parents, grandparents or any family member is suffering from this disease, then you can also get this disease through genes.
What are the symptoms of thyroid in men?
1. Unnecessary teasing and mood swings-
Hypothyroidism in which the production of thyroid hormones is low. In this situation, mood swings start happening in men like women. In such a situation, men sometimes start getting irritated unnecessarily and sometimes they get angry immediately. Actually, all this happens due to low level of testosterone hormone and hence it can also cause problems like anxiety and depression in men.
2. Pain in the feet-
People often ignore the pain in the feet. Whereas it can be a symptom of some serious conditions. Actually, when the thyroid gland starts producing excessive thyroid hormone in the body, it weakens the muscles and causes muscle strain. This causes burning and pain in the feet.
Severe and prolonged hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can cause hair loss. Actually, disturbances related to testosterone hormone increase the problem of baldness in men, so if your hair is falling fast then you should get it checked whether you have thyroid.
4. Weakening of bones-
Thyroid hormone affects the body quite seriously. Actually, when this hormone becomes excessive, it can weaken the bones of men. Due to this, things like pain in the joints, problems in standing after sitting for a long time and feeling weak in the bones can increase. Sometimes the bones become so hollow in this that people get osteoporosis.
5. Problem of low heart beat-
Hypothyroidism sometimes affects the health of your heart as well. In such a situation, there is a feeling of constant stress inside the people and there is no sleep. During this, the cholesterol level increases and there may be a problem of low heart beat. Due to this, the person gets upset while living.
6. Swelling in mouth and body-
Men with hypothyroidism often gain weight and it happens suddenly. Actually, due to low production of thyroid hormone, metabolism gets spoiled and whatever you eat does not get digested properly and weight starts increasing. Because of this, there can be more swelling in the mouth and body of such people.
7. Poor sexual health and erectile dysfunction-
Testosterone deficiency can cause poor sexual health and erectile dysfunction in men. The symptoms of this type of thyroid are not easily understood. But those related to the internal organs, such as hyperthyroidism, can lead to loss of interest in sex as well as the risk of erectile dysfunction. Apart from this, it can also cause low sperm count in men.
What are the ways to avoid thyroid ?
1. Change in lifestyle is very important to cure thyroid disease. During this, a balanced diet should be taken and exercise should be done regularly.
2. Foods containing protein, calcium, vitamins, magnesium and iodine should be included in the diet.
3. If you smoke or drink, then leave these habits immediately.
4. You can get rid of this disease even after waking up in the morning and doing exercise or yoga for half an hour.
How to control uncontrolled thyroid ?
- To find out whether there is a problem in thyroid or not, thyroid profile is examined. If there is thyroid then the doctor gives medicine to it. After finding out the condition of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, doctors recommend eating less or more salt.
- Cauliflower, beans, carrots, beetroot, grapes, apple, melon, broccoli, okra, gourd, fenugreek, spinach, brinjal, tomato, bitter gourd, lentils, curd, egg, chicken, fish etc. should be consumed when thyroid is low.
- On the other hand, if the thyroid has increased, then eat almonds, walnuts, cauliflower, broccoli, pistachios, peanuts, lentils, kidney beans, curd, eggs, fish etc.
Some ways to deal with male fertility problems-
1. Proper diet- Consuming a diet rich in lean meat, vegetables, legumes and grains increases the mobility of the sperm.
2. Healthy Weight- Men should maintain a healthy weight as the link between being overweight and male infertility is quite strong.
3. Physical activity- Regular exercise will help in maintaining the quality of sperm and also reduce stress.
Disclaimer- Every possible effort has been made to ensure the accuracy, timeliness and genuineness of this information. Although its moral responsibility is not of Ayurveda Gyan Sagar. We humbly request you to consult your doctor before trying any remedy. Our aim is only to provide you information. Thank you.