What is filarial disease?
Filariasis is a bacterial infection caused by the entry of Filariasis bancrofti into the body through the bite of a Culex mosquito. In the beginning of this disease, swelling and redness occurs in the hands, feet and testicles. Fever comes once in 15 days after getting cold. Its entry in the blood starts from 6 in the evening and spreads in the whole body till midnight.
As a result, due to obstruction in the lymph vessels, lymph gets accumulated in the hanging organs. Abnormal swelling and thickening of the skin in the legs, testicles, hands, which gradually increases and becomes permanent, and later the legs and hands swell and become thick like the feet of an elephant.
What are the causes of filariasis?
The disease is caused by a worm called Filaria bancrofti in the body by the bite of Culex mosquito.
Which age group is more prone to filariasis?
Filariasis is often seen more in middle-aged people. It is more in men than in women. This disease is prevalent in the coastal areas of India like Assam, Bengal. It is seen more in Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu etc. It is also seen more in many districts of Bihar and Eastern Uttar Pradesh. Its outbreak is more on full moon and new moon.
What are the symptoms of filariasis?
Due to filariasis, the following symptoms are caused by specific types of pathology.
1. The patient gets fever due to chills and the fever remains from 101 to 104 degree Fahrenheit.
2. A few hours after the attack of fever, symptoms of pain arise in a particular part of the body.
3. There is pain in the branches and enlargement of the glands. This enlargement occurs in the groin, orbit and inner part of the thigh and forearm.
4. On the contrary, in some persons fever reaches the extent of anger and symptoms of severe abnormality arise.
5. The patient has chills and shivering similar to malaria.
6. When the fever subsides, the patient sweats profusely. Usually within 3 to 5 days the fever subsides on its own.
7. In case of second infection, an abscess develops in the deformed part. Due to which the fever lasts for a long time. Some patients have symptoms of chronic fever for several months.
8. In this, the skin on the top of the legs gets swollen and its color becomes darker. The affected leg becomes double-triple thick, but there are no pits when finger pressure is applied there.
9. Due to the swelling of the lymph vessels, bulges are formed at many places, due to which liquid similar to milky water flows.
10. Due to the effect of the disease in the testicle, the testicle can become heavy up to 40 kg.
11. The attack of disease keeps happening again and again. After each attack, the leg becomes thicker than before.
Note- Many forms of fever can be found in filariasis, such as low or high fever every day, continuous persistence of fever due to lymphangitis, chills at the beginning of fever due to abscess, and later fever subsides due to sweating. Fever is usually caused by inflammation or irritation.
How to make a presumptive diagnosis of filariasis?
1. Living in Filaria dominated places.
2. Attack of fever with chills.
3. More attacks at the time of new moon or full moon.
4. Special pain in any part of the body and origin of swelling in the feet at the time of fever attack.
5. Swelling in a particular organ after fever.
6. Enlargement and pain of enlarged lymph ducts or lymph glands.
7. Filariasis is estimated on the basis of symptoms like fever with sweating.
General treatment of filarial disease-
1. Complete rest is necessary for the patient.
2. Keep the affected part elevated on the pillow and compress it with hot cotton or soak a cloth in land lotion and keep it at the place of swelling.
3. Clean the organs like ear, nose, throat, uterus etc. completely.
4. Give plenty of warm water to the patient and keep wiping the body several times by soaking a cloth in hot water.
5. Remedy of bowel is very important, so give food that cleanses the stomach.
6. At the time of fever, keep the patient from walking and taking bath completely.
7. Attack of the disease is of intense nature during new moon, full moon, eclipse and rain. Therefore, at such times, make proper arrangements for regular life, small diet and keeping the stomach clean.
8. Rubbing the body with a dry cloth from bottom to top is beneficial after the fever subsides.
9. After getting rid of fever, a bandage should be tied on the legs and testicles while walking. Along with this, a pillow should be kept under them while sleeping at night.
10. In the stage of spread, only symptomatic treatment is done.
Note- This article has been written for educational purpose, for more information consult a qualified doctor.