Health Desk- Stone is such a disease which is becoming a common disease day by day. The biggest reason for this is adulteration in food and there are some chemicals present which invite new diseases. One of these diseases is stone disease in the gallbladder. Through this article, an attempt has been made to explain that what are the causes, symptoms and treatment of gallstones?
What is gallstone ?
The biggest problem associated with the gallbladder, which stores enzymes needed for digestion, is that it is more prone to stone formation, which are called gallstones in the gallbladder. In fact, when the amount of liquid substance in the gallbladder starts drying up, then the sugar, salt and other micronutrient elements present in it accumulate together and take the form of small stone pieces, which are called gallbladder stones.
Sometimes there is accumulation of cholesterol, bilirubin and bile salts in the gall bladder. 80% of stones are made of cholesterol. Gradually they harden and take the form of stones inside the gall bladder. Cholesterol stones are yellow-green in colour.
When black or brown colored stones are seen in the bladder, they are called pigment stones. Sometimes there is accumulation of unconjugated bilirubin element in the gall bladder, then it causes the problem of pigment stones. Due to disturbances in the gallbladder, many times bile starts accumulating in the bile duct, due to which people can also get jaundice. If bile goes into the pancreas instead of going into the intestines, it can lead to a serious problem called chronic pancreatitis. If it is not treated at the right time, it can also lead to cancer in the gallbladder.
Gallstone formation is a very painful disease. Two types of cholesterol and pigments are made in bile. But about 80% of the stones are made of cholesterol only. Bile is made in the liver and stored in the gall bladder. This bile helps in digesting food full of fat. But when the level of cholesterol and bilirubin in the bile increases, then stones are formed.
Due to having gall bladder stone-
No definite cause of gallstones has yet been proven. And this can happen at any age. There are some factors that can increase the risk of gallstones, such as diabetes, being suffering from any disease for a long time, and there are many other reasons that can increase the risk of having gallbladder stones.
1. Bread, Rusk and other bakery products like-
Consumption of bread, muffins, cookies, cupcakes, etc. affects gallbladder health. However, these foods have high levels of saturated and trans fat and most of these foods are made from refined flour. If you have any disease related to Gall Bladder, then these products should not be consumed at all. Instead of this, you should use food products made of coarse grains.
2. Excess protein is dangerous –
Excess consumption of anything is harmful, so too much protein is also dangerous. If you want to keep your gallbladder healthy, then the level of protein found in animals should be limited. In fact, proteins found in animals increase the risk of calcium stones and uric acid stones. Fish, meat have high levels of calcium along with protein. That’s why they should not be consumed too much. If you have gall bladder or kidney stones, then they should not be consumed at all.
3. Consumption of sweet things-
Refined carbohydrates are found in abundance in sweets. Apart from this, excessive intake of sugar thickens cholesterol, which increases the risk of heart diseases as well as gall bladder stones. That’s why very little should be used in eating and drinking sweet things.
4. Contraceptive drugs –
Gallbladder problems are also found in women who consume contraceptive drugs in large quantities or frequently. That’s why women should adopt other types of contraceptive measures instead of medicines, because excessive consumption of medicines can make them a patient of gall bladder stones. Apart from this, these medicines also have a bad effect on the kidney and liver.
Even if you consume a lot of coffee, you may have to face gallbladder problems. That’s why people who already have stones or any other complaint in the gall bladder, they should stop consuming coffee completely. People who are healthy can drink one or two cups of coffee a day but should not consume more coffee than this.
6. Consumption of soda-
It is advisable to consume more and more water in case of stones, but there are some beverages which should not be consumed in case of stones. Soda should not be consumed at all when there is a stone, it contains phosphoric acid which increases the risk of stone.
7. Even after losing weight rapidly, there is a risk of getting stones in the gall bladder.
8. Age also makes a difference. The risk of this disease increases in people above 45 years of age.
9. Excess obesity.
10. Lineage Traditional.
It is better to get treatment for gall bladder stone as soon as it is detected because it can also turn into cancer. The good news is that gall bladder stones are not incurable. There is a cure for gallstones in the gallbladder. The thing to keep in mind is that if the treatment of stones in the gallbladder is not done on time, then the only treatment left is “Pathri Ka Operation”.
Symptoms of gallstones-
Sometimes stones in the gallbladder occur without any symptoms and sometimes they also show some symptoms. There are some special symptoms when there is a stone in the gallbladder, which are as follows-
- Heaviness in stomach.
- Symptoms like excessive sweating are seen.
Prevention of gallstones-
To avoid stones in the gall bladder, it is necessary to make changes in lifestyle and food habits. As-
- 100 ml of carrot and cucumber juice. Mixing it in quantity and drinking it twice a day provides relief in gallstones.
- 50 ml empty stomach in the morning. Drinking lemon juice will give relief in a week.
- Alcohol, cigarette, tea, coffee and sugary drinks are harmful to the body. Try to avoid them as much as possible.
- Pear is beneficial in gallstones, eat it a lot. Gall bladder disease is cured by the chemical elements found in it.
- The use of Vitamin-C and ascorbic acid makes the body’s immune system strong. It turns cholesterol into bile. Taking three to four tablets of this daily is beneficial in stone.
- Patients of gallstones should take maximum quantity of green vegetables and fruits in food. They are low in cholesterol and also fulfill the requirement of protein.
- Stay away from fried and spicy things and have a balanced diet.
- Consume sour fruits. Vitamin-C present in these proves to be very helpful in removing gall bladder stones.
- Consuming one spoon of turmeric daily removes stones.
Should avoid eating-
1. In case of gallstones, the doctor has advised to remove eggs from the diet. According to them, it contains a lot of cholesterol which causes stones in the gall bladder.
2. If you like to eat fried things then leave it immediately. Not only do they harm the health, but it can also increase the problem of gallstones. That’s why you try not to eat too many fried things. Let us tell you that fried foods contain hydrogenated fat, trans fat and saturated fat which can increase your gallbladder pain. Use olive or canola oil as a healthy option for frying.
3. Talking about abstinence in gallstones, you should also avoid non-veg like meat, red meat, pork and chicken etc. Apart from this, do not eat oily and spicy things.
4. One of the reasons why people are running after processed food is that it tastes good and does not require much effort to make it. But its taste can harm our body. It can not only affect and spoil the digestive system of the body but can also increase the problem of gallstones. Trans fatty acids, usually present in packaged food, act to increase the symptoms of gallstones. Avoid chips, cookies, donuts, sweets or packaged foods.
5. If you have gallstones, keep distance from food items with refined ingredients. White bread, refined flour pasta, white rice and refined sugar all turn into fat, which can increase cholesterol in the bile.
6. If there is a problem of gallstones, then do not use fat dairy products. Milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, heavy cream, and sour cream contain high levels of fat, which increase the risk of gallstone formation. Try reducing the amount of dairy in your diet or choose low-fat milk.
7. To avoid gallstones or to protect your gallbladder, you should avoid certain food items. The biggest problem is with high fat food items and processed food items. That’s why keep distance from them. Food items that are greasy or fried, such as vegetable oil and peanut oil, are more difficult to give up and can lead to gallbladder problems. Food items that contain trans fats, like processed or commercially baked products, can also harm gallbladder health. Avoid white food items like white pasta, bread and sugar, these can harm your gallbladder. You should also avoid alcohol and tobacco.
8. Acidic food should not be eaten in gallstones. Foods that are acidic, such as citrus fruits, coffee and tomato sauce, can not only irritate your stomach, but can also lead to gallstones.
High intake of fruits and vegetables.
1. High amount of starchy carbohydrates. For example bread, rice, pulses, pasta, potato, chapati and plantain (banana-like food). When possible, take things made from whole grains. Take small amounts of milk and dairy products. Take low fat dairy products.
2. Meat, fish, eggs and their substitutes such as beans and pulses in small amounts.
3. Unsaturated fats found in vegetable oils such as sunflower, rapeseed and olive oils, avocados, nuts and nuts.
4. Consume a diet rich in fiber. It is found in legumes, pulses, fruits and vegetables, oats and wholewheat products such as bread, pasta and rice.
5. Take plenty of fluids, such as water or herbal tea, at least two liters per day.
Yoga and Exercise- Regular exercise reduces cholesterol in the blood tissues, which can cause gall bladder problems. Thirty minutes a day, five times a week, of a relatively moderate amount of physical activity has a significant effect on a person’s risk of developing gallstones.
Yoga-The yogasanas that should be practiced for the treatment of gallstones are:
What are the things to be kept in mind after stone removal?
- Drinking water or any drink is not allowed for five hours before the surgery. Then you can drink a couple of sips of non-carbonated drinking water every 20 minutes, up to 0.5 liters daily. The day after the operation, you can continue to drink or arrange normal drinks, excluding coffee, tea, sweetened and carbonated drinks, alcohol.
- Grated porridge on water for three days on the diet, boiled vegetables in the form of mashed potatoes, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, baked ground grated apple. On the fifth day, you can start eating boiled omelet without yolk, mashed soups in any meat broth, you can add 100 grams of white bread croutons to them. By the end of the first week, boiled fish and meat of low-fat varieties in ground form, liquid cereals with milk, mashed bananas are allowed.
- In addition, after removal of the gallbladder, abstinence continues for one and a half months. Its main principle is that dishes and dishes should be steamed. Eating in small portions, frequency of eating five-six times a day. All smoking products, spicy products, pickled and canned food items are excluded.
- After a month and a half, you can gradually try chicken yolk/once a week, boiled sausage, honey, mild cheese, fresh sour cream, fresh fruit and berries. Instead of sugar, it is better to use sweeteners. This diet is called Diet Table N5/Hepatic/ and will need to be followed for three months. In the coming days, with the permission of the gastroenterologist, the diet is gradually expanded, but still smoked meats, spicy and canned dishes, spicy products should be discarded. To improve the biliary function of the liver, it is important to consume vegetable fiber. Raw vegetables and fruits, vegetable oils are useful. Alcohol is excluded.
Side effects of having gallstones –
- Although digestive problems increase more after gallbladder surgery, apart from this, there are also problems of diarrhea and constipation.
- Has trouble digesting fatty food items
- Some people find it difficult to digest fatty food items in the first month after surgery. Consuming fewer food items can help.
- Temporary diarrhoea.
The gallbladder stores waste products from the digestive tract and bile from the liver. When the gall bladder is removed, the bile released from the liver goes directly into the small intestine. Due to the absence of gall bladder, when it comes in the small intestine, there is a problem for some time in the process between the liver and it. Because of which sometimes the patient also gets diarrhea. This is also called cholecystectomy syndrome, which lasts for a few days after the gallbladder is removed.
- Temporary constipation-
Some people become constipated from the pain medications they take after gallbladder surgery. A diet that is rich in fiber—beans, bran, whole grains, fruits and vegetables—can help prevent and relieve constipation.
Stones in the bile duct-
Bile duct stones In some cases, stones will remain in your common bile duct after gallbladder surgery. This can block the flow of bile into your small intestine and result in pain, fever, nausea, vomiting, bloating, and jaundice soon after surgery. You may need an additional procedure to remove gallstones that have built up in your common bile duct.
Although it’s very rare, the instruments used during your gallbladder surgery can damage your intestines. Your doctor will take steps to reduce the risk of this complication during surgery. If this happens you may experience abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and fever.
Apart from this, due to the side effects of having gall bladder stone, there is a sign of other disease.
Jaundice and serious surgical conditions can also emerge from the presence of gallstones. It can also lead to infection, passage or pus formation and peritonitis due to perforation of the gallbladder. Life-threatening conditions like pancreatitis can also arise.
Cancer can occur in the gall bladder. In 6 to 18 percent cases of patients suffering from this stone, there is a risk of whole life cancer, which is especially seen more in North India. Patients with large stones are more likely to develop cancer while those with small stones are more likely to develop jaundice or pancreatitis.
Home remedies for gallstones –
Generally, home remedies are used more for gallstones, due to which some relief is also given in time – let us know about some such home remedies or remedies which can be used in this disease or merge. Or may prove to be a panacea.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar –
The apple helps keep the doctor away. Therefore, mixing one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of apple juice should be consumed regularly once a day. Apples contain malic acid which helps in softening gallstones and vinegar prevents the liver from making stone-causing cholesterol. This is a quick remedy to reduce pain during a gallstone attack.
Pears contain a compound called pectin which softens cholesterol-bound stones so that they can be easily passed out of the body. They are helpful in providing relief from pain and other symptoms caused by stones.
3. Beetroot, cucumber and carrot juice-
To cleanse and strengthen the gallbladder and cleanse the liver, mix equal amounts of beetroot juice, cucumber juice and carrot juice. This combination also helps you in cleaning the stomach and blood. The high water content in cucumber and the high amount of vitamin-C in carrots flush out toxins from the bladder.
It increases bile and digestive juices. It contains a compound called terpin which effectively breaks down the stones. You can also make peppermint tea by boiling mint leaves.
A high fiber diet is very essential for the treatment of gallbladder stones. Isabgol being a good source of soluble fiber binds cholesterol in the bile and helps prevent stone formation. You can have it with your other fiber rich food or at night before going to bed with a glass of water.
Lemon juice being acidic, it acts like vinegar and prevents cholesterol from building up in the liver. Take the juice of four lemons every day on an empty stomach. Follow this process for a week. With this, the problem of stone can be easily removed.
7. Red capsicum-
One red capsicum contains about 95 mg of vitamin-C, this amount is sufficient to prevent stones. So include capsicum in your diet.
8. Whole grains-
Include plenty of water-soluble fiber-rich foods such as whole grains and other cereals in your diet. Fiber helps prevent stone formation by lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
This is a home remedy for gallstones. It is anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory (inflammatory). Turmeric helps in breaking down bile, bile compounds and stones easily. It is believed that by taking one spoon of turmeric, about 80 percent of the stones are eliminated.
10. Vitamin C-
Vitamin-C converts the body’s cholesterol into bile acids which break down the stones. You can take Vitamin-C supplement or eat foods that are rich in Vitamin-C like oranges, tomatoes etc. This is one of the best home remedies for stone pain.
Treatment of gallstones –
If you feel the symptoms of gallstones, then get it checked by the doctor. When gallstones are visible in the ultrasound, the doctor will be able to properly diagnose its treatment.
If you need permanent relief from this pain and problems associated with stones, then operation is the most effective and best solution. Jaundice and pancreatitis are likely to occur without surgery. That’s why it is wise to get treated only when the presence of stones is known.
There is one or more than one stone in the gallbladder, the only treatment is surgery. In this, the gallbladder is taken out, which does not affect the health, because after this the bile of the liver starts reaching the small intestine directly, due to which the work of digesting food is done normally. Pathology examination of stones should be done after surgery because by detecting the cause of stones with chemical analysis, the risk of other diseases can be reduced in future.
Note- This article has been written for educational purpose. There is no alternative to cure any disease so always consult a qualified doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Stomach Cancer- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Bladder Cancer- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Lung Cancer- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Bone Cancer- Causes, Symptoms, Stages and Treatment
- Cervical Cancer- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Oral Cancer – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment