Health Desk- Even the slightest negligence during pregnancy makes women vulnerable to disease. Sepsis is also a similar disease. Sepsis in pregnancy can be avoided by knowing how and why this dangerous disease occurs. For this reason, in this article, we are talking about the causes, symptoms and treatment of sepsis in pregnancy.
What is sepsis?
Sepsis is the body’s overreaction and overreaction to infection. It is considered a life-threatening medical emergency. If it is not treated in time, it can lead to organ failure, tissue damage and even death. Pregnancy is considered a risk factor for sepsis.
How common is it to have maternal sepsis?
Maternal sepsis, ie sepsis in pregnancy, is not very common, but it causes 11 percent of deaths. It is the third most common direct cause of maternal death. Also, sepsis is a major factor in other common causes of maternal death, such as hemorrhage and thromboembolism.
Stages of sepsis and blood infection in pregnancy-
A woman can go through different stages of sepsis during pregnancy. Therefore it is important to know the stage of sepsis. Let’s know further.
When the immune system releases chemicals into the blood vessels to fight infection, inflammation occurs in the body. Its serious condition later turns into septic shock, the second stage of sepsis.
In septic shock, the affected person undergoes a condition of severe low blood pressure due to infection of the body.
Severe sepsis The body parts do not function properly. Also, organs like liver and kidney can fail.
Blood infection in pregnancy due to sepsis
- Genital tract infection.
- Bacterial infection.
- Kidney, stomach and bladder infections.
- Wound infection.
- Pneumonia and other such infections
Signs and symptoms of sepsis in pregnancy-
Symptoms of sepsis in pregnancy can be seen in this way.
- Pink discharge from the vagina
- Pressure in the pelvic area
- Fever higher than 100 degrees
- Lower abdominal pain
- Rapid heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Persistent headache in pregnancy
- Vaginal bleeding
Treatment of blood infection during pregnancy-
In case of sepsis in pregnancy, it is necessary to treat it immediately. During this, the doctor may give fluids through a catheter to improve blood flow. Along with this, the blood flow in the organ is improved by the dopamine hormone medicine.
Antibiotics may be given to prevent infection. If there is a lack of oxygen due to the severity, ventilation can also be put on.
In severe cases, if there is respiratory failure, blood is delivered through artificial lungs to the blood vessels. This process is called extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
Can sepsis be prevented?
Prevention methods can be adopted before sepsis occurs. Let us know how to prevent sepsis during pregnancy.
- Take care of cleanliness
- Drink clean and filtered water
- Take the medicines prescribed by the doctor on time and in the right dosage
- If there is a wound or injury on the body, then take full care of it.
- If the injury is caused by an iron, then get vaccinated.
- Wash food thoroughly
- Don’t take any symptom for granted
- Avoid taking any medicine of your choice
What do experts say?
Community Expert Breastfeeding and Nutrition, Pooja Marathe explains that life-threatening and organ-failing sepsis is one of the leading reasons for hospitalization of a woman during pregnancy.
It is one of the leading causes of maternal morbidity (health problems faced by the mother) and death of the mother. Like sepsis that occurs during pregnancy is called maternal sepsis and similarly if this problem occurs six weeks after delivery, it is called postpartum sepsis or puerperal sepsis.
Sepsis is also sometimes called blood poisoning, which is incorrect. Sepsis during pregnancy can lead to some potential complications, such as preterm birth, fetal infection, hypoxia and acidosis, high fetal mortality, and the need for a cesarean section.
Disclaimer- Sepsis is a serious and emergency condition. In such a situation, if you see any of the symptoms mentioned in the article, then definitely contact the doctor. Do not ignore any type of infection. It is necessary to treat it in time.
- Sepsis- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Human Brain- What Is The Real Human Brain? Know 10 Interesting Facts About Human
- Colorectal Cancer – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Weight Loss- Home Remedies To Reduce Obesity Quickly
- Melanoma Cancer Of The Eye – Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Treatment
- Ovarian Cancer- Type, Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment