Health Desk- Depression is such a condition that many people are suffering from it today. According to WHO, more than 350 million people all over the world are affected by depression.
What is depression?
Being sad, feeling bad, not taking interest in daily activities, not keeping ourselves happy are all these things we know very well. But when this symptom persists for a long time in our life, it affects us a lot. This is what is called depression. It is a mental disorder. Especially it is a mood disorder. People suffering from depression can have different experiences.
What are the types of depression?
There can be many different types of depression such as-
1.Major depressive disorder-
In this the person goes into a state of deep despair and hopelessness. Major depression can happen only once but often it can happen several times in a lifetime. The main symptom of major depression is difficulty in working, reading and eating.
2. Psychotic Depression-
About 25% of people who suffer from psychotic depression suffer from psychotic depression. Apart from the symptoms of depression, people with this depression show signs of hallucinations, irrational thoughts and fear.
- Drinking water on an empty stomach in the morning has many benefits for our body, you will be shocked to know
3. Dysthymia and chronic depression-
This depression is known as chronic depression. For dysthymia to be recognized, it must be present for at least 2 years in adults and at least 1 year in children. It is not a severe form of depression but its symptoms can last for many years. People who suffer from it are usually able to function normally. But not always happy. Dysthymia and chronic depression are different. Symptoms of dysthymia are less than that of chronic depression.
4. Seasonal Affective Disorder-
This depression comes at the same time every year. It usually starts in winter and ends in spring or early summer. A rare form of Seasonal Affective Disorder is Summer Depression. It starts in spring or early summer and ends at the end of spring. People who suffer from Seasonal Affective Depression have symptoms of major depression such as sadness, irritability, lack of interest in normal activities, staying away from social activities and lack of focus etc.
In bipolar depression, the mind remains very sad or very happy for several weeks or several months in a row. Negative thoughts come in sadness and high thoughts in manic depression. In this, the mind of the victim keeps going alternately in two different and opposite states. In this disease, the behavior of the person suddenly changes. Sometimes a person suffering from this disease is very happy and sometimes he starts feeling very sad.
What are the symptoms of depression?
Symptoms of depression can vary according to depression.
feeling depressed, feeling tired, having trouble concentrating, always feeling sad, excessive anger, irritability, not participating in pleasurable or fun activities, getting too much or too little sleep, lack of physical energy, unhealthy eating Cravings excessively, always worrying, always preferring to be isolated from others, restlessness, trouble making decisions to think clearly, performing poorly at work or school, feeling guilty, etc.
What is the cause of depression?
There can be many reasons for having depression like-
1. Depression makes you more likely to have depression if someone in your family has had or has a history of any other mental disorder.
2. If the front part of your brain is less active then the chances of getting depression become more. Although scientists do not know whether this happens before or after the onset of symptoms of depression.
3. Sometimes the fear of the body due to some incidents in childhood and the way the body reacts to the stressful situation can also make you suffer from depression.
4. Certain diseases can increase your risk of developing depression such as chronic diseases, sleeplessness, chronic pain or ADHD etc.
5. Excessive consumption of alcohol or smoking can increase the risk of depression. About 20% of people who have or are ever addicted to drugs also get depression.
Ways to avoid depression-
1. Do not ignore your physical and mental health at all.
2. Follow a regular routine.
3. Pay special attention to food and eat healthy and balanced diet.
4. Work on your self esteem and confidence.
5. Try to be with friends and family, do not keep distance from them.
6. Adopt ways to deal with stress, you do some exercise.
7. Read inspirational books.
8. You can also watch motivational movies or videos.
9. If you are under more stress then you can listen to music of your choice. This will reduce your stress and get relief from depression.
10. Do physical activities, you can dance if you want.
11. Do not be shy in seeking help from anyone in any problem because depression can be prevented by getting help at the right time.
12. If you feel depressed, do not start taking medicine on your own, rather seek medical advice.
13. Try to develop a positive attitude towards life.
How long can the problem of depression last?
It is difficult to say how long the problem of depression can last because it depends on the factors related to your lifestyle and this But also whether you get treatment early or not. It can last for several weeks, months or even years. Depression is a serious illness and it happens to many people many times. But this does not mean that there is no ray of hope for its recovery, but the truth is far from it. Depression may be chronic but it is absolutely possible to get rid of it.
What are the disadvantages of depression ?
Depression is a serious illness that can put you and your family in a lot of trouble and gets worse if it is not treated on time. As a result of which emotional, behavioral and health problems arise which can affect every area of your life.
Note- This article has been written for educational purpose. There is no substitute for the treatment of any disease. Therefore, seek medical advice as soon as you find symptoms of depression. Thank you.