What is Filariasis ?
Filariasis is a bacterial infection caused by the introduction of Filariasis bancrofti into the body through the bite of the Culex mosquito. In the beginning of this disease, swelling and redness arise in the hands, feet and testes. Fever comes once in 15 days after getting frost. Its entry into the blood starts from 6 pm and spreads to the whole body till midnight.
As a result of which, due to obstruction in the lymphatic vessels, the lymph accumulates in the hanging organs. Strange swelling and thickening of the skin in the feet, testicles, hands, which gradually increases and becomes permanent and later becomes old and becomes thick like an elephant’s foot by swelling of the feet and hands.
What is the cause of filariasis?
The disease originates from a worm named Filariasis bancrofti in the body by the bite of Culex mosquito.
Filariasis is more common in middle-aged people. It occurs more in men than in women. This disease is found in the coastal areas of India like Assam, Bengal. It is seen more in Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu etc. It is also seen more in many districts of Bihar and Eastern Uttar Pradesh. Its outbreak is more on full moon and new moon.
What are the symptoms of Filariasis?
Filariasis causes the following symptoms of a specific type of pathological.
1. The patient gets fever after getting frost and the fever remains from 101 to 104 degree Fahrenheit.
2. A few hours after the attack of fever, symptoms of pain arise in a particular part of the body.
3. There is pain in the branches and growth of the lymph nodes, this growth occurs in the groin, orbit and inner part of the thigh and forearm.
4. On the contrary, in some people, the symptoms of severe abnormality arise after reaching the extent of fever, anguish.
5. The patient has more cold and shivering like malaria.
6. When the fever subsides, the patient sweats a lot. Usually the fever subsides on its own within 3 to 5 days.
7. In the case of second infection, a prolapse occurs in the deformed part. Due to which the fever lasts for a long time. Symptoms of chronic fever persist for several months in some patients.
8. In this, the skin above the legs becomes swollen and its color becomes dark. The affected leg becomes twice or thrice thick, but there is no pit on the pressure of the finger.
9. Due to the swelling of the lymphatic vessels, bulges are formed in many places, due to which a liquid like milky water flows.
10. Due to the effect of the disease in the testicles, the testicles can be heavy up to 40 kg.
11. The attack of the disease keeps happening again and again. After each attack, the leg becomes thicker than before.
Note- Many forms of fever can be found in filariasis, such as daily fever, persistence of fever due to laryngitis, onset of fever due to prolapse and subsidence of fever due to sweating. Fever is often caused by inflammation or allergy.
How to make an approximate diagnosis of filariasis?
1. Residing in filarial places.
2. Attack of fever with chills.
3. Attacks are more at the time of new moon or full moon.
4. At the time of fever attack, there is special pain in any part of the body and the origin of swelling in the feet.
5. Swelling in a particular organ after fever.
6. Enlarged lymphatic duct or enlargement of the lymph glands and pain.
7. Filaria is estimated on the basis of symptoms like fever with sweating etc.
General therapy of filarial disease-
1. Patient needs complete rest.
2. Keep the affected part elevated on the pillow and compress it with warm cotton or soak a cloth in land lotion and place it on the place of swelling.
3. Completely clean the organs like ear, nose, throat, uterus etc.
4. Give the patient very warm water and soak the cloth in hot water and keep wiping the body several times.
5. Care of the cell is very important, so give food that cleans the stomach.
6. At the time of fever, the patient should stop walking and bathing completely.
7. At the time of new moon, full moon, eclipse and rain, the attack of the disease is of intense nature. Therefore, at such times make proper arrangements for regular life, small diet and keeping the stomach clean.
8. After the fever subsides, it is beneficial to rub the body with a dry cloth from bottom to top.
9. After getting rid of fever, a bandage should be tied on the feet and testes while walking. Also, a pillow should be kept under them while sleeping at night.
10. In the stage of spread, only symptomatic therapy is done.
Ayurvedic remedy for filariasis-
1. In filarial disease, skipping, virechana (keeping the stomach clean), raktashodhana (cleansing of blood) compress, paste, sweating and anti-phlegm therapy should be done.
2. Dhanushk, Erand, Nirgundi, Punarnava and Drumstick should be grinded and applied.
3. Take equal quantity of Harre, Bahera, Amla, Punarnava, Turmeric, Peepal and take powder with honey in the amount of 3 grams.
4. Amrutadi guggul should be taken with water in the morning and evening.
5. Take 2 grams of Chetki powder with 10 ml cow urine in the morning.
Note- By taking the above ayurvedic medicines regularly for 6 months to 1 year old filariasis is also cured.
Source- Ayurveda Gyan Ganga Book.
Home remedies for filariasis
Clove is a very effective home remedy for the treatment of filariasis. The enzymes present in it destroy the parasite as soon as it grows and destroy the parasite in a very effective way, so it is beneficial for a person suffering from filariasis to take tea prepared from cloves.
To get rid of filariasis, it is beneficial to take dry ginger powder or dry ginger with hot water daily. Its consumption destroys the parasites present in the body and helps the patient to recover quickly.
4. Shankhpushpi and Soth-
Mixing rock salt in the powder of Shankhpushpi and Soth and taking a pinch of it daily with warm water in the morning and evening is beneficial in filariasis.
Garlic is rich in antibiotic properties. Therefore it is able to kill the parasite. It is beneficial for a person suffering from filariasis to consume garlic daily, for this, one or two cloves of garlic should be chewed on an empty stomach in the morning and eaten with water.
Note- This article is written for educational purpose and is not a substitute for treatment of any disease. Therefore, before any use, please consult a qualified doctor. Thank you.