Health Desk- Genital herpes is a sexual infection. It can be spread from person to person during sex. It can spread if you have oral, anal or genital sex. Sometimes it may happen that its symptoms may not appear even for years. Although this disease often happens to the person having sex.
Let us know in detail-
What is Genital Herpes?
It is a sexual infection. Which you can get from your sexual partner. This infection spreads rapidly. Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). It spreads when you have sexual, oral, anal or genital sex. It may happen that you may not have any symptoms even after years of infection. People who have sex often get this disease. you’re not alone.
About 1 in 6 Americans have genital herpes. There are approximately 776,000 new cases of HSV-2 each year. This disease is not incurable. It gets better when treated.
There are 2 types of HSV-
1 .Herpes simplex virus – 1.
2 .Herpes simplex virus-2.
The sores are caused by herpes simplex virus-1. So there herpes simplex virus-2 causes genital herpes. It is spread through any kind of sexual contact.
Some people with shingles are prone to genital sores and ulcers. Many people have no symptoms of genital herpes, but the disease continues to spread. There is no cure for herpes, but the symptoms can be treated. It is more common in women than in men. It spreads from men to women. It is mostly seen in people under the age of 50.
- What is Protein? KWhat is Genital Herpes Know its causes, symptoms and remediesnow its advantages, disadvantages and sources of obtaining
What are the causes of genital herpes?
- Bacteria and viruses are the cause of genital herpes. These viruses are called herpes simplex-2 (HSV-2). Whereas, HSV-1 causes blisters on the genitals. You get HSV-2 from your sexual partner.
- When your body’s skin has contact with an infected person, then these viruses enter you too. This infection spreads rapidly. Its symptoms may not be visible. But it keeps on spreading. Also, having sex, it infects others as well.
- Apart from having sex, it is also spread from one to another through clothes. Herpes keeps touching the clothes that the infected person wears. When someone else wears these clothes, then he too gets this disease.
- Even normal looking skin can spread the infection. Symptoms of genital herpes can take from 4 to 12 days to appear.
- Genital herpes affects each person differently.
- If there is physical or emotional stress, if you take medicines without asking the doctor, then the problem of genital herpes can increase more. It is also spread through genital and oral fluids.
- In genital herpes, there are blisters around the genital area. If there are no blisters, it does not mean that you are not infected. With this you can infect others as well.
What are the symptoms of genital herpes?
The symptoms of genital herpes can vary from person to person. In some patients, the infection continues to progress despite not having any symptoms. Know about its symptoms….
- Itching or tension may be felt around the genitals. It is usually painful.
- There are small blisters that look like sores. They may ooze blood or pus.
When you get the infection from someone else, the symptoms start appearing within a few weeks. You may have a fever, headache, or flu-like feeling the first time this happens.
- Some people do not have a single symptom. While some people have mild symptoms.
- The woman or man who has the infection may not be aware of it.
Blisters present near the vagina can also take the form of ulcers. Apart from this, there may be pain in the body.
- Chills, itching, burning or tingling of the skin is also one of the common symptoms of genital herpes.
- Inflammation can occur due to urinary tract infection. Which causes pain when urinating.
What is the treatment for genital herpes?
Genital herpes cannot be completely cured. Doctors can control it by treating its symptoms. First of all, the treating doctor does some physical examination. They will ask you about the symptoms. In addition, your blood will also be tested.
Keeping the symptoms in mind, the doctor will start giving you antiviral medicine.
These drugs help reduce severe symptoms.
There are two different treatments for genital herpes:
1.Suppressive Therapy and
2. Episodic therapy.
In suppressive therapy – Antiviral drugs are given every day to reduce the symptoms of herpes. As the symptoms subside, you will also be able to protect your partner from this infection.
Episodic treatment is preferable for people with severe symptoms.
Genital herpes can also occur inside the vagina. There are blisters inside the vagina. In such a situation, women feel a lot of pain during menstruation. In such a situation, doctors may ask women to use pads instead of menstrual cups.
Your doctor may also recommend pain medications such as ibuprofen (Advil).
Wrap ice in a towel to reduce swelling. This can give you relief.
Important things related to genital herpes-
- Genital herpes can also be passed from mother to child. It is possible to spread the infection from mother to child at the time of delivery. Herpes lesions are more frequent.
- Infection depends on whether the mother has wounds at the time of delivery.
- If there are no signs of wound in the vagina at the time of delivery, then the mother can give birth to a healthy baby.
- If more symptoms of herpes are seen in the mother, then the doctor advises the mother to give birth through caesarean operation instead of normal delivery.
- Avoid having sex if you are pregnant and suffering from genital herpes. After three months it can prove to be more dangerous.
Hope you liked this article and got important information related to Genital Herpes. Please consult an expert for more information. You must share this article to make your near and dear ones aware of this information.